1986 300sdl Fuel lines question

I noticed my wife's fuel line was leaking down where it goes into the frame under where the back seat is....is there any way to get a better look to see the leak..like under the seat perhaps..thier is no way to see up inside from under the car .... Thanks Will

Reply to
will

Don't bother looking. Just take it in and have them change all the rubber fuel lines there. It is an extremely dirty job as all fuel will drain out of the tank during this job.

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, time to change all rubber fuel hoses, if they have never been changed before. In my experience, they last 15-20 years. Yours is at the high mark already. It might also be a good time to check ALL rubber parts, including suspension, especially front end.

The hoses need to be replaced from below, no access from back seat. Get the hoses first. They have metal thread at one end. All other hoses in the engine bay use the standard 7.5mm ID fuel hose, cut-as-you-wish.

If you are handy, run the car until the tank is almost empty, roughly

15-20 miles after empty-tank light turns on. Put a 2 gallon bucket under the tank, loose the hoses at the rubber end and drain the tank empty. Now you can change all hoses. Use some rags to capture spills.

You can also replace the in-tank filter at this point, though it requires a 46 mm socket which I find not easy/cheap to get. If the in-line and main filters are old, replace them too. How old is the little hose that runs between injectors?

After the work, it will take a very long crank (about 2 minutes for me) to get hoses filled with diesel and start the car. Spread out the cranks so you don't overheat the starter.

Diesel is very good solvent/cleaner. If you don't reuse the diesel back to the tank, you can use it for cleaning. I usually clean the work area before doing any disassembling, using diesel or used ATF.

Oh, yes, wear those blue gloves. Latex gloves will be destroyed by diesel in seconds.

will wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan