1987 260E wont' start

Hello. I just picked up a used 1987 260E with the hope of turning it into a daily driver. Right now it won't start. When I turn the ignition, I can hear the starter motor cranking the engine, but the car won't start. Actually I got it to start up once, but as soon as I put it into drive gear, the engine cut off. I am wondering if this is a lemon and whether should I proceed with the plan to certify it and emission test and get it on the road. The car has 134000 miles. Has no rusts. What could be the problem with it? Where can the VIN number be found on this car? I believe there are couple places where they put the VIN right? TIA

Reply to
Joseph

As for the VIN try looking on the driver's side window column from the outside...K

Reply to
Ken

You probably need a fuel pump relay... I would get a service manual and it tells you how to bypass the fuel pump relay to test the fuel pump.

Vin number should be by the driver side windshield... there is another one in the engine compartment along the firewall just in front of the windshield.

Reply to
Tiger

I agree with Tiger.

Apparently it does not get enough fuel. The fuel pump relay can be one probable cause. The fuel pump relay both provides power to the fuel pump and energizes the cold start valve. It is easy to replace and can well be the first step in troubleshooting.

But first have someone to turn the key to ignition position (not star posistion yet) while you listen if the fuel pump runs for one second (the fuel pump is beneath the car under the trunk). If it does, both the relay and the pump is probably (but not necessarily) OK.

If i doesn't run, you can check whether the fuel pump itself works by pulling out the fuel pump relay and shortcircuit pins 7 and 8, thereby bypassing the relay and providing power to the fuel pump.

If the fuel pump relay works, the next thing to check is the overvoltage protection (OVP) relay, which provides power to the injection computer. Again, this can be bypassed by shortcircuiting pins

1, 2, 4 and 6.

But the problem can also be a blocked fuel filter or a defective fuel pressure regulator. Another easy to solve problem could be the hose under the idle speed air valve.

Fuel pump relay and OVP relay is behind the cover behind the battery. Idle speed air valve is behind the injection fuel distributor, and the fuel regulator is in front of the fuel distributor. The fuel distributor is under the air filter assembly.

At least this should be something to start with.

Reply to
Jens