1987 300D Turbo

One is available for sale here w/all service records since new. It is red w/150K miles. Any thoughts on this model? (and it appears to be the only year this body style hade a 6 cyl diesel engine)

Reply to
Chris

This 3.0L six was also installed in the 300SDL in '87 and '88 and many of those owners love these models and this engine.

The motor is a good one IF it's not been overheated.

Overheating causes head gasket failure and or worse a cracked cylinder head.

So if you buy it be sure to take very good care of its cooling system.

Don't be apprehensive of the car's mileage, only 7,500/year. The complete records tell its story.

Get serious about this car for it appears to have been well maintained.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I owned an 87 300TD for about 12 years, having donated it to a charity last year when I got a new car. The engine and power train is excellent and I had few problems with it. The reason I got rid of it was progressive rust in the body and problems with the hydropneumatic suspension. The rear shocks were bad and it would have been prohibitively expensive to replace them. I'm finding that on more recent Benzes, one needs to be concerned more with peripheral items than major items such as engine and transmission (assuming things like oil/filter were done regularly). Things like ventilation systems, hydropneumatic suspension and electricals can bleed your wallet dry in short order.

Reply to
jav

Advertise it in the Globe with a decent ad. These things in good condition get big bucks in Toronto.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I understand that the 87 300DT was one of the best older Mercedes. With the low miles I bet it would be a great car. Good luck. Jerry

Chris wrote:

Reply to
jerry

I understand that the 87 300DT was one of the best older Mercedes. With the low miles I bet it would be a great car. Good luck. Jerry

Chris wrote:

Reply to
jerry