1987 300E thinking of changing tire sizes

Hi I am think of changing my tires from original 195/65-15 to 225/60-15. Will these fit on 1987 300E? What are the pros and cons of this? I believe the con would be a errant speedo reading by about 3% if they fit. Any other ideas or suggestions. I would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks, J

Reply to
ooglala

Unless I am doing the math wrong it seems to be about a 6% difference. My concerns would be the reduced gas mileage due to the increased rolling resistance and adequate fender clearance in the front. I upgraded the tire size on my 190e 2.6 and don't sense any improvement in handling etc. Front fender clearance seems tight. I noticed a spot on the interior fender well top where the tires have rubbed slightly on occasion when the suspension bottomed out. I would not bother to do it again Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Reply to
Karl

Thanks.

I think it would provide better handling, faster 'turn-in', smoother, quieter ride? Thoughts?

2.6% slower..... but why do you want to go over an inch wider? More turning resistance on your
Reply to
ooglala

Thanks. What is the factory size on the 190? and what did you change to?

Reply to
ooglala

This link explains impact of tire sizing.

is raining right now. The 190E got evicted from the garage temporarily. Iwill look at the tires tomorrow and give you the sizePeter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

No worries. Thanks.

Reply to
ooglala

For the 190E 2.6 MB recommends 185 65 . I used the Michelin P 195 65 which theoretically results in a change of 11.5 cm dia.

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Correction.........11.5 mm..................

> > It is raining right now. The 190E got evicted from the garage> temporarily.

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

I get 2.53% difference; the 60 series is a bigger tire:

They say stick to within 2%. This is probably still ok.

My car cam with 14's and I upgraded to 15's which worked much better, then I upgraded to 16's and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD what a difference. No decrease in ride confort (surprising) and it handles like it's on rails now. Highly recommended.

Reply to
Richard
215/60's are as far as I would go. They look nice and are only slightly larger in height (129 vs 126.75), BUT>>>> I run 205/60's because I have a friend with 215's, and he see's a little scrub now and then, plus the wheels are heavier, which affects the ride. The 205/60's ride real nice and handle great.
Reply to
Thom