1987 560 sel smoking problem

Page 1 of 2
my vehicle has only 190 thou miles tons of power super clean BUT after idling about 5 min it begins to smoke oil lightly then about 10 min smoking pretty good so I take it out bout a quarter mile down the road and
no smoke I turn around punch it and im at about 90 in a hundred yards i pull in the drive about 5 min later smokes back 8 min later lots of white smoke now i press the gas tons of white smoke for 1 min then decreases to none then i take it down the road again no smoke turn around come back very fast no problem back in the drive 5 min later light blue smoke again. NOW the thing is the car was bought yesterday it has sat in a heated garage for 4 years and a divorce later and 1 year outside. basically the vehicle has not been driven (but started and moved around slightly) for 5 years. underneath the oil pan gasket seems to leak slightly on rear corner. I changed oil to 10w40 and new filter and STP oil treatment. Trans fluid was about a quart low seems fine. I just want to figure out some diagnostic ideas other than my own.

PARK the car >>NOW<<!
Looks like you've got a blown head gasket, do NOT turn the engine on, you might add a couple grand worth of damage, like I did. Tow it to the nearest mech.
cp
its only blue smoke now

Blue smoke=oil burning. Check tranny oil. Also check modulator valve vacuum line to see if you have a lot of oil present. Also, check modulator valve vacuum line with hand vacuum pump. Black smoke=too much fuel Steam at exhaust=water/coolant entering combustion chamber somewhere Personally, I would suspect valve guide seals since you seem to have a build-up of oil during long periods of idle. Other possibilities iclude any way oil can enter the intake manifold. Good luck.
Sounds like a head gasket failing and dumping oil and coolant into combustion chamber.Also to consider is a crack in the head itself near an exhaust valve.Oxygen sensor is probably screwed up at this point also.
its only blue smoke now, i filled r up with 93 octane, changed the oil 10w 40 added some stp and it still dosent smoke aat first only about 5 min later then i rev it up to round 2 grand and a minute later hardly no smoke
Contrary to other (pessimistic) opinions I suggest you drive it (don't hot rod it) a while and keep a log of fluid additions. Qt of oil at xxx miles and date , added coolant miles & date, so you have a track of what's going on with this engine. It could be (optimistic) that the rings have gotten "lazy"; some longer drives will cure that.
I believe the motor's valve guide seals - the plastic seals around the valve stems - may be worn out and need to be replaced. This can be done without removing the cylinder heads - but wait until you log confirms (i) excess oil use and (ii) no coolant loss.

What he SHOULD do is check the coolant and oil; if the coolant cloudy and the oil muddy (or cloudy) then it's time to stop. Best to pay $50 and tow it and get it checked out before potentially causing 10 times as much damage.
cp
Or just use a vacuum gauge if you have one. Connect and if the needle fluctuates between 10 and 25 in./Hg. as the engine speed increases will tell you that the head gasket is leaking.
If it vibrates excessively between 8 and 20 in./Hg at idle,this indicates worn valve guides.
Park it!!!
Too complicated!

cp wrote:

Not at all,and less time consuming than a fluid log! 5 minutes and your done,so would that be pessimistic or optimistic? hah

yeh, 5 minutes if you knows what you is doing!

I learned my lesson; had I not been too cheap to call a tow truck I would have saved myself $1500
cp
<snip>

Ouch! Live and learn is the best we can hope for sometimes...

Luckily it was only Canadian dollars.
cp
Im going to do this thanks for the info sir captain
coolant good and green and oil was very black now its nice after the change a little bit of leakage behind passenger side valve cover and i see theres oil underneath but no big spots on the ground

I'd still get it checked out, better pay a bit now than a lot later.
cp
yes your right, but then what fun would in talking about it?

:-)
youve made the most sense to me so far, so when i go to replace the seals what else should i replace while im there in your opinion? (on a limited budget