1987 560 sel smoking problem

got lots of tools, besides its a work in progress but i agree id rather go to a professional but the pocket book dosent think the way i do.

Reply to
dzman

its bluish only now

Reply to
dzman

I'd still get it checked out, better pay a bit now than a lot later.

cp

Reply to
cp

Leaking vacuum modulator.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

If it's bluish, that is a giveaway for oil burning. Your options become bad ones at that point.

Worst case first:

1) Poor oil control at rings. 2) Cracked head or heads, or head gasket. 3) valve seals.

The best bet to identify the source of this is to go out when the vehicle is cold and pull all the plugs and examine them carefully. Odds are one or more of them will show some residue of the oil that you see coming out the tailpipe.

If it's only one, then you can pursue those valve seals and see if that helps any.

Otherwise.... MONDO labor.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

yes your right, but then what fun would in talking about it?

Reply to
dzman

oh, im not too familiar with mercedes this is my first one i really wanted an sec but hey whos complainin. also my sunroof dosent open they say in the manual to do it manually from the trunk by the hex nut. i tried and the nut came loose one way and the other way seemed to go too far with no results also i dont hear the motor running, the fuse is good. one more thing, theres a little motor behind the passenger rear wheel and it runs all the time. it appears to be a self leveler like my cadillac had but im not sure i plan to buy a chilton or haines book soon and study it. chilton only offered 76-89 book im checking haines tonight, some of the other places their manuals were very expensive. I should check ebay too i figure anyway any help will be appreciated thanks

Reply to
dzman

Your good at this i will check the plugs tomorrow which one is the easiest fix and ill pray for it to be that! Maybe GOD loves mercedes I expect thats the case.

Reply to
dzman

:-)

Reply to
cp

If you want, I have the factory manual on CD, I can send you parts of it.

cp

Reply to
cp

Blue smoke=oil burning. Check tranny oil. Also check modulator valve vacuum line to see if you have a lot of oil present. Also, check modulator valve vacuum line with hand vacuum pump. Black smoke=too much fuel Steam at exhaust=water/coolant entering combustion chamber somewhere Personally, I would suspect valve guide seals since you seem to have a build-up of oil during long periods of idle. Other possibilities iclude any way oil can enter the intake manifold. Good luck.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks