1987 560 sel smoking problem

Page 2 of 2
White smoke... that could be tranny fluid burning... put a paper towel by the exhaust for a few minutes... then remove it... smell the paper towel...
what does it smell like? Coolant? Oil? Tranny oil?
how can trans fluid get in the exhaust?

Leaking vacuum modulator.
oh, im not too familiar with mercedes this is my first one i really wanted an sec but hey whos complainin. also my sunroof dosent open they say in the manual to do it manually from the trunk by the hex nut. i tried and the nut came loose one way and the other way seemed to go too far with no results also i dont hear the motor running, the fuse is good. one more thing, theres a little motor behind the passenger rear wheel and it runs all the time. it appears to be a self leveler like my cadillac had but im not sure i plan to buy a chilton or haines book soon and study it. chilton only offered 76-89 book im checking haines tonight, some of the other places their manuals were very expensive. I should check ebay too i figure anyway any help will be appreciated thanks

If you want, I have the factory manual on CD, I can send you parts of it.
cp
*Sometimes not being driven is as hard on a car as rough driving.*
white smoke == gas not burning. If the exhaust smells like anything BUT unburned fuel, then consider something more serious. There might be another cause. Per the earlier posting, the coolant/oil check is practical and simple. If the results are positive (that is, if the engine is ill ), then maybe a compression test is in order. It would let you know something as well. And not too expensive to get done.
But the Safest thing to do is hire a professional. Some things are not meant for amateur sleuthing. Especially if you don't have the tools Take care of your car and it will take care of you.

No! unburned fuel is black.
White is usually water or antifreeze.
its bluish only now
got lots of tools, besides its a work in progress but i agree id rather go to a professional but the pocket book dosent think the way i do.

If it's bluish, that is a giveaway for oil burning. Your options become bad ones at that point.
Worst case first:
1) Poor oil control at rings. 2) Cracked head or heads, or head gasket. 3) valve seals.
The best bet to identify the source of this is to go out when the vehicle is cold and pull all the plugs and examine them carefully. Odds are one or more of them will show some residue of the oil that you see coming out the tailpipe.
If it's only one, then you can pursue those valve seals and see if that helps any.
Otherwise.... MONDO labor.
Your good at this i will check the plugs tomorrow which one is the easiest fix and ill pray for it to be that! Maybe GOD loves mercedes I expect thats the case.