1988 190D: Oil type/brand - does it really matter?

Last night, while driving back from Marine World, I noticed "smoke" coming out the back of my car on hard accelerations (getting on the freeway, going uphill). I remember some discussion on the mb a long time ago about diesel oil, but the Kragan guy told me it doesn't matter.

So, let me ask you guys: what type/grade/brand of motor oil should I be putting in my Benzo? I'm currently using Castrol 20W50, I think. I've seen a lot of dirty rear bumpers on MB diesels around town, so I'm beginning to think I am supposed to smoke a little. I would like to minimize it as much as possible. I'll post pics later (getting ready for fireworks now)

Reply to
Chanzilla

Don't listen to some clerk, see:

That takes care of your lube oil question.

You should know that exhaust smoke, other than from a worn out engine, is unburned fuel. Clean injectors and a clean air filter element are the way to nearly eliminate smoke; some will always be present upon hard acceleration. Low sulfur fuel reduces soot by a great amount.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the chart recommendation. I'm still fuzzy about the weight/viscosity issue. I live in fair-weather Northern California, and I do some moderate driving in this car. The worst it may see is a weekend trip to San Franscisco. Here, at the Capitol, I usually use public transportation and use the 190D for the occasional errand or when I'm just that late to get to work. It's got large/wide 16" rims that I hope to soon replace with standard rims/tires to improve driveability and gas mileage. What weight/viscosity should I be using? Esp. this summer?

Reply to
Chanzilla