1988 300E 3L Stalling

1988 300E 3L Engine 100K miles, original engine

While driving down the road the car would just shut off (stalling). Usually starts up right away but the last time it took about a minute or two. Replaced the wires, distributor cap, seal, rotor and OVP,(all suggestions from this board) ran fine for about 5 days and now it is doing it again. Installed a new ignition coil but haven?t really had a good run.

Any suggestions where to check next if it continues?

Thanks

Reply to
maromeo

.... did you ever replace the 'fuel relay' ? Almost certainly the problem

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Yep... very classic symptom of fuel pump relay. Should have asked us first!

Reply to
Tiger

Yes a relay. Get the CD/DVD off ebay lots of good troubleshooting in the manual. Step by step.

Reply to
macdrone

This is an interesting description too:

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Well, it was tested and stalled twice on a twelve mile run. Ordered the fuel pump relay we should have it here in a couple of days and will install it then. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the help

"Tiger" wrote

Reply to
maromeo

Replaced the Fuel pump relay. So far it is running fine. (You get a little sheepish when you have these intermittent issues. )

Thanks so much for the help Tiger

"maromeo" wrote

Reply to
maromeo

I know what you mean! You are welcome.

Reply to
Tiger

Car ran fine until last night, it?s been almost a week since the new fuel pump relay was put in. Now it almost stalls. RPM?s drop to around

5000 and check engine light come on, then it picks up again and goes back to normal. Did that twice on a 12 mile stretch. Where do we check from here?

Thanks

"Tiger" wrote

Reply to
maromeo

Pulled out the "what to repair next" from our shop guy from almost a year and a half ago. On the list was an idler arm repair kit and nothing else. Would this cause the RPM?s to drop on deceleration? And is it something I would be able to replace or want to mess with?

Thanks

"maromeo" wrote

Reply to
maromeo

Mmm... you already changed the OVP relay... Was that new or old one that you swapped out? Where did you get that OVP?

I am not so sure on your engine... I would start checking on EGR system... check to see if it is good. Particularly the crankcase ventilation system and idle control units.

Reply to
Tiger