1988 300E 3L Stalling

1988 300E 3L Engine 100K miles, original engine
While driving down the road the car would just shut off (stalling). Usually starts up right away but the last time it took about a minute
or two. Replaced the wires, distributor cap, seal, rotor and OVP,(all suggestions from this board) ran fine for about 5 days and now it is doing it again. Installed a new ignition coil but havent really had a good run.
Any suggestions where to check next if it continues?
Thanks
.... did you ever replace the 'fuel relay' ? Almost certainly the problem
cheers, guenter

Yep... very classic symptom of fuel pump relay. Should have asked us first!
Yes a relay. Get the CD/DVD off ebay lots of good troubleshooting in the manual. Step by step.
macdrone wrote:

This is an interesting description too:
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t 6605
Ximinez
Well, it was tested and stalled twice on a twelve mile run. Ordered the fuel pump relay we should have it here in a couple of days and will install it then. Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the help
"Tiger" wrote
> Yep... very classic symptom of fuel pump relay. Should have > asked us first!
Replaced the Fuel pump relay. So far it is running fine. (You get a little sheepish when you have these intermittent issues. )
Thanks so much for the help Tiger
"maromeo" wrote
> Well, it was tested and stalled twice on a twelve mile run. > Ordered the fuel pump relay we should have it here in a couple > of days and will install it then. Will keep you posted. > > Thanks for the help.
I know what you mean! You are welcome.
Car ran fine until last night, its been almost a week since the new fuel pump relay was put in. Now it almost stalls. RPMs drop to around 5000 and check engine light come on, then it picks up again and goes back to normal. Did that twice on a 12 mile stretch. Where do we check from here?
Thanks
"Tiger" wrote
> I know what you mean! You are welcome.
Pulled out the "what to repair next" from our shop guy from almost a year and a half ago. On the list was an idler arm repair kit and nothing else. Would this cause the RPMs to drop on deceleration? And is it something I would be able to replace or want to mess with?
Thanks
"maromeo" wrote
> Car ran fine until last night, it's been almost a week since > the new fuel pump relay was put in. Now it almost stalls. > RPM's drop to around 5000 and check engine light come on, then > it picks up again and goes back to normal. Did that twice on a > 12 mile stretch. Where do we check from here? > > Thanks.
Mmm... you already changed the OVP relay... Was that new or old one that you swapped out? Where did you get that OVP?
I am not so sure on your engine... I would start checking on EGR system... check to see if it is good. Particularly the crankcase ventilation system and idle control units.