1988 560SEL HYDRAULIK OEL reservoir

Friend of mine has a 1988 560SEL body is W126. I fix my own cars - not Mercedes though - and therefore he asked me to take a look at a low fluid level at a reservoir towards the front of the engine compartment drive side. The lid states 'hydraulik oel', which really just means hydraulic oil. I am suspecting that this is the power steering fluid. Could anybody confirm? He does not have the owners manual which should have a sketch of the engine compartment labeling what it is. Online you don't find one either that can be downloaded. Maybe somebody could scan the page from the manual and send it.

Thanks in advance for your help. Axel

Reply to
axel

It is for the self-leveling. 560SEL has this option that maintains a constant height at the rear. Technically speaking, it maintains the angle of the body. In reality, the front weight stays nearly the same. The passengers and luggage all puts load at the rear. When the weight puts the rear down (i.e. changing the angle of the body), the system will pump oil into the rear shocks to raise it.

The self-level> Friend of mine has a 1988 560SEL body is W126. I fix my own cars -

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

AND it uses MB hydraulic oil, NOT power steering fluid.

If it low, find the leak. Hydraulic oil does not evaporate.

If the leak is not around the rear struts and hoses going to the reservoir, it may have a hydraulic pump leaking into the crankcase. It does NOT share anything with the power steering. The pump is bolted to the timing cover.

Here is the pump:

Buy a manual before you do some expensive damage!!!!

Reply to
Karl

Oops, Karl is the expert. I was using the W124 setup to describe. The

300TE does use the power steer> AND it uses MB hydraulic oil, NOT power steering fluid.

Wan-ning Tan

Yes, the 124 body V8 uses the tandem pump. 2 separate pumps bolted together.

Karl

I just bought 80 560SEL, OK shape. After the buy, I heard that an inexperienced person put power steering fluid in the hydraulic resevoir about a week ago, which then left fresh puddles under the rear wheels. The hydralic resevoir is now empty, am I screwed? Just ordered the shop CD to get started. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
holla2040

I just bought 90 560SEL, OK shape. After the buy, I heard that an inexperienced person put power steering fluid in the hydraulic resevoir about a week ago, which then left fresh puddles under the rear wheels. The hydralic resevoir is now empty, am I screwed? Just ordered the shop CD to get started. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
holla2040

Karl,

I was on a 2000 mile trip last week. At about the 1500 mile mark, I noticed the fluid level in my load leveler was down about a pint. I added a pint of oil. I checked for leaks, but did not see any drops on the struts or near the valve in the rear.

Now today after I unloaded my car the fluid level is back up over the full mark.

I checked on a pump and Auto Hauz of Arizona has them for $999. Is there any way to renew the seal if it turns out I am getting leakage to the crankcase?

Thanks.

Paul Fretheim

Reply to
heav