1989 109e Starter Lock Cylinder

I just got a used 1989 190e. It has some minor problems but I have managed to fix most of them except the ignition tumbler. It takes about 5 min. to
start the car because the key always jams in the ignition tumbler. I know it is the tumbler because once it turns, everything works fine.
I borrowed a CHILTON book that shows how to take out the tumbler and replace it, but I can never manage to do it. The homemade U shaped tool to pop the spring tension inside the lock cylinder just never works.
Does anybody know how to take it out? It is really frusturating.
Respectfully, IML
Did the instructions tell you what the diameter of the U shaped wire needed to be?
There is a specific diameter and if you are using a wire that is bigger, it will not go all of the way in and if you are using a wire that is smaller than called for then it will go all of the way in but will not depress the pins that keep the black, hardened steel cone from coming off. Also the key must be turned to the first position otherwise anyone could steal this vehicle using only the wire.
There are other problems with many Mercedes ignition housings that would make one think that the keyed cylinder is faulty or worn when it is not. Specifically the column locking cam that sits behind the ignition lock wears out making it really difficult to get your key to turn to on. Once you get the key to turn, everything works beautiful until you pull the key out and hear the locking pin clicking into lock position then you have to start all over again. When this condition happens, you can sometimes temporarily free it up using a deadblow hammer on the locking bolt shaft after removing the kick/service panel.
In either case, lubricating your lock(s) will not hurt at all, fact is if the tumblers are the problem then using a good lubricant, either silicone or a teflon based like TriFlo, should help immensly, however lube doesn't really seem to help if the problem is a worn lock bolt cam. Remember WD40 can clean a lock out but as far as supplying lubricant, forget it.
To solve the lock bolt problem if you have one is quite a bit more involved.
Another possibility is the key itself, either order a new key from Mercedes, they will cut it from the VIN to original factory specs or go to a locksmith that can do the same, the key can even be cut a few thousands higher to compensate for tumbler wear. Check prices and decide. If the key is worn, the lock can act as you say it does and a new key will often work like a miracle.
Rod
I would like to thank everybody that helped me with my starter lock cylinder problem. I read everybodys advice and decided to make my own extraction tool. Using advice from both stuart firth and John Glover, I tried using flux but the local hardware store is cheap enough to only offer imperial sized flux. Sadly the closest sized flux did not work. I used an old coat hangar instead and used my dremel tool to slant the prongs. The lock popped out the first time I tried the tool.
Thanks a lot to everybody.
Respectfully, IML