1989 300CE / 300E M 103 Engine stalls after warming up.

It starts fine when cold. Sound like it runs smooth, but not quite (intermittent slight sputter, hardly detectable). Drives fine, maybe lacking a little spunk.
Once it warms up it barely makes it up a hill or stalls. When trying to re start, it cranks and and won't fire. while cranking sometimes even the cranking stalls for a second. IF I let it sit until cold it will start right away and repeat the cycle. Doe anybody have an idea, what M 103 / 300E engines are notorious for? car has approx 130k.
Check your main wiring harness... make sure the insulations are not falling apart that bare metal touch other wires.
Shouldn't be a failing harness on an '89 car. That problem started croppping up with the later 3.2 engine with it's biodegradable wiring.
Start with the simple, low cost items first.
RayH
I would suspect distributor rotor arm - I had exactly these symptoms and that was the answer.
I would stress that you should replace it with a genuine MB rotor arm ( it gets hot up there). The one that failed was a Bremi replacement and it failed after 18 months. New MB version working fine.
Good luck.
RayH