1989 300E Hot front brakes, no front braking.

I noticed a strange feel to the brake pedal about 1 week ago. Skidded on a wet road while stopping about the same time. I continued to use the car for short distances but observed a dragging when coasting.

Pulled into the drive and observed an excessively hot front left rotor. So.....

I pulled the wheel off. Pulled the caliper assembly. Inspected: all pads were adequate. I put a 'C' clamp on it to widen the caliper for re-assembly and the fluid resisted but the caliper did compress.

While it was disassembled, I pumped the brakes to see if the caliper was functioning. It did not move. I opened the caliper bleader and pumped the pedal and nothing came out.

I traced the line back to the ABS unit, cracked it open and pumped the brakes. Nothing! I then removed the line completely and pumped the pedal. The pedal was firm and did not bottom out, no fluid came out.

Next, I cracked the input lines to the ABS unit both front and rear from the master cylinder. Fluid sprayed nicely and the pedal bottomed out.

All obvious fuses are good and the ABS light is not on.

This car is a beauty with 250,000 miles. Just bought 4 new skins for it.

Reply to
Steve

You need two people to do this... Have one pump the brake a couple of times with engine off and then hold the pedal down. Then you crack open the bleeder and see if fluid comes out. It should come out.

If there was no fluid, you car would have severely pull to one side when braking. Since you didn't mention this, I suspect you got a sticking caliper... so replace that caliper and bleed properly and it should be fine.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the reply. We did that with the engine on and got no flow from either front port.

The car has no pull when stopping.

Reply to
Steve