1989 560 SEL IDLES FAST

My 560SEL idles at 1000 to 1100 rpm when cranked. When it goes in gear the idle slows to 650 rpm. Is that normal? Also it is slow to go into reverse
after it has been run for a while. Is it a rear pump in the transmission? It only has 200k, and has been well cared for by the local MB dealer. I have only had the car for 6 months and I am not familiar with this car's quirks. Any help would be appreciated.
Not normal. It should be ~500 RPM in drive. I had similar problem. The wire broke at idle solenoid. It is on top of motor in front middle. Look behind thermostat housing just under air cleaner. Had to re-solder. Also check all your vacuum hoses.
-Kent

The car has a idle speed control relay, however, out of your post it is not clear to me if the car idles to 1100 again once you take her back out of gear. If so, then possible problems will be either, idle speed motor, or idle speed control relay (behind passenger kick panel). Cheers. Martin Autobahn Auto