1989 Mercedes 250TD Starting Problem.

1989 Mercedes 250TD. I?m new to diesels. This car has always started fine since I got it a month ago, as long as I turn on ignition and wait for the amber "glow plug" dash light to go out first. This morning, it started as usual and I drove 3 miles. Parked 3 hours. started fine again, but then I went 1/2 a mile and parked again for a short time. The "glow plug" lamp didn?t light, and it wouldn?t start. I left it 2 hours, then the lamp lit and it started 1st turn. Drove 3 miles. Parked 2 hours. Lamp didn?t light and it wouldn?t start. Still abandoned at the moment. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Reply to
TimWoods

I would say it is a sign of bad glow plug relay. Get a new one. It is also possible you got a poor contract on one of the glow plug so you need to check the resistance on all glow plugs.

Reply to
Tiger

If this happens immediately after they installed the system, then they have to fix it. This is covered under their liability insurance for any problems they may have caused.

Sounds to me that Overload Relay must have be fried...

Reply to
Tiger

Ooops... wrong topic.

Reply to
Tiger

Many thanks for your response. Now I hope you?ll excuse my ignorance... I think I found the relay compartment (behind fuse box) today, inside there is a white relay approx 30mm sq, a black one about 30mmx80mm, and another black one about 30mmx150mm. Which is it pray tell? There?s another black-box electrical thingy with 2 plugs connected just behind the fuel pump? Finally, I can see what I assume to be the injectors on the head, each with a steel pipe connected, and 2 braided tubes connected. Is this the location of the glow plugs? I really must get a workshop manual!

"Tiger" wrote: > I would say it is a sign of bad glow plug relay. Get a new > one. It is also > possible you got a poor contract on one of the glow plug so > you need to > check the resistance on all glow plugs.

Reply to
TimWoods

You can get all your info here. Glow plug relay is just above your front wheel in the engine compartment on driver side.

Reply to
Tiger