1990 300SE Questions

I have a 1990 300SE with 136k miles. I have had the car about a year and have really enjoyed it. However, I am having a couple of problems and was hoping somebody in the group might be able to shed some light on these problems.

  1. When accelarating quickly the transmission makes a loud screach. This wasn't happening under normal driving conditions until recently and now it is doing it on all but the wimpiest shifts.

  1. There is a annoying constant rattling sound. It sounds sort of like the tail pipe rattling, but I have had it on the rack and it is not the exhaust system. One theory is it could be the shock.

Thanks for any help, I must say this group has been a great help in shedding light on some other questions I had.

Reply to
CBellew

A loud screech when accelerating might be a loose fanbelt, maybe a bad alternator bearing or possibly a water pump. Does it also screech when parked in Neutral, and tapping the accelerator quickly? Is it louder when headlamps are on? Turning the steering wheel? Would be good to rule out engine sqeals first. Any erratic or harsh shifting of the transmission? I'm not sure if transmissions ever screach; it's usually bearings and belts that do that.

The rattling could be many things. Sometimes a tool or an object drops into the side fender areas from the trunk and rattles along the sides of the chassis, for example. It could be a loose shock absorber, or a few other things. Try having someone else drive around while you sit in various locations of the sedan, listening for the rattle. It's difficult to troubleshoot squeaks, rattles and noises as a driver, but maybe you can figure out the area of the rattle if you're a passenger.

Reply to
Rugbyguy

I agree with Rugbyguy... your engine belt is loose or worn. Probably both.

As far as rattle... it is something loose in the car like Rugbyguy said...

Reply to
Tiger