1990 300SEL...some questions

My neighbor offered to give me his 1990 300SEL with 200K on the clock. It is white with tan interior. He says it has a small oil leak. THe car runs good, so he says. The only other flaw with is it the passanger side
window came off the track. Is that a hard job to fix?- Chuck
A free car w/ 200K, an oil leak and a window problem.
Suggest you consider the circumstances.
You already have a flaky car that occupies more time than it should, now you want to take on this old dog?
If you take this car and then dump it - for any reason - the "generous neighbor" will be sore that you didn't make a go of it.
If you keep it you have a big old car with an oil leak and not much upside for your trouble.
IMHO this is a losing proposition, long term, unless you want to start your own junkyard. You're a young guy who has better things to do with his time than spend it on old cars.
Money flows in and out but one can't replace time. Invest it in YOUR future.
Thus spake the Wise Old Bird...
Seriously though, it sounds like good advice, though Chucky might want a 'project' like taking the engine out to look for the leak...
DAS
"T.G. Lambach" < snipped-for-privacy@NoSpamcomcastOrHam.net> wrote in message
news:K-mdndlehtqrkcDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
Sounds like the main problem is the window regulator, which is likely broken. You can find new replacement ones on Ebay for less than $100 for many Mercedes. Not rocket science to replace, but having a manual that tells you how the door comes apart is a big plus.
If it runs well and only has a small oil leak in addition to the window problem, sounds like a good deal to me. As long as you set the expectations with the neighbor and understand that you may have other repairs or need to junk it at some point.
I'd take it... oil leak on the inline 6 is probably at the common leak area... which is either the valve cover gasket.. or something else that I do not want to say... Your best advice is to look over the engine with a flashlight to see where the oil spots are.
Window is easy fix... it is that plastic regulator that broke... it is like $10 part from dealer.
Considering your big problem with your 300E... I'd take this car... You upgraded to S class. I recall you are also going to graduate from college and in tight income... I would take this car until your financial situation improve...
Your neighbor is giving you an awesome gift at the time you really need a reliable car. Count your blessing.

No.