1991 190E 2.6 transmission problem

My automatic transmission recently developed a problem it starts off in first gear and wont shift out of it until 25 MPH then it goes through all the other gears perfectly. When I slow down and speed back up from a low speed in 2nd gear it behaves perfectly. Other than the starting in first gear and wanting to stay in 1st it behaves beautifully. The fluid is bright red and clean. What should I be looking at? Thank you. Sean.

Reply to
swalsh

Change filter and fluid first.

Reply to
Tiger

You probably are aware that the car retains 1st gear longer while warming up. Possibly your car thinks it's still cold... just a thought

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Thank you. I should have mentioned that I did that. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Is there a piston or a brake band etc that coul;d be stuck

"Tiger" wrote

Reply to
swalsh

No, it is not likely the piston or something like that... even if it is, no room to change it without dropping the tranny.

Sounds to me that the valve body is messed up. It needs to be rebuilt... it can also be one of the clutch pack seal... either way, you are looking at a rebuild.

Reply to
Tiger