1992 190E 2.6 Questions

After 112000 miles, bulb on shift lever (automatic transmission) has burned out. In trying to replace it, I removed the wood panel and unpluged all the switches and I am looking a black plastic box. Shift lever, center, shift indicator window, left that looks like it should open like a shoebox, but after careful gentle prying, it wont. Further down there are 4 silver bolts that are holding this box to shift linkage. Does all this have to be removed to replace the bulb? Second question: To replace O2 sensor (Mustang 5.0 same as MB purchased, except change wiring plug) pulled up carpet on passenger side found wires to O2 sensor and they lead directly under the center console????? Please explain......................Rick

Reply to
r parris

I have done this before but forget the details. At least I gave you alink with a lot of 190 information. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thank you! Very odd, I have looked at 15 posts of answers to this question . Knowing Mercedes Benz Engineering, they would not have you disassemble the shift linkage to replace a light bulb. The people who say they have changed this bulb, don't remember how, or disassembled more than they should have for such a simple task. The automatic shift linkage display, is the TOP, of a 4x6 inch plastic box, (lite bulb inside and a rubber seal dust catcher), that snaps together. No bolts, or screws, need be turned.......on this model that is......... THE QUESTION...... where to pry open the box! ...Does anyone really know?

Reply to
r parris

alternatively, you could memorize the gearshift sequence:

P - R - N - D - 3 - 2 - etc

from rest, three clunks and you're go!!

still and all, i know how nice it is to have those lights at night. doesn't mean a damn thing, but there's something comforting there ... or maybe that's just me

Reply to
atwifa

Hi If you feel down the front of the bit where the shift lever fits, there is a small bulb holder that just pulls out, and you can replace the bulb, you can see the small wiring harness that feeds it. Don't know about the o2 sensor but I suspect you have to attack it from under the car.

Regards

soundforger

Reply to
soundforger