1992 190E died while backing up

Car started fine and had been running fine except for a couple of occassions where it did the same thing but started up right away. I started to reverse and it just cut out, turned key on again but
nothing lit up on the dash. Nothing electrical in the car works. Checked fuses and battery ground all looked OK, Any suggestions?
Thanks
Always start such a search with the simple possibilities.
If the car has an alarm system that may be a suspect.
The battery may LOOK OK but if > 4 years old it is highly suspect. Tug on its cables to ensure that they're really tight.
Turn on the headlights. If they're bright (battery OK) then I'd suspect the ignition switch.
After that I'd check the battery's ground connection to the chassis and the chassis connection to the engine.
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.