1992 300 SD

I am intersted in buying a 92 300 SD. How is the fuel economy? I had a

1992 300d and was not really impressed with the power that it had. Does anyome know much about these cars? The one I am interested in has 114K miles on it, but that's just getting broke in for a diesel, right? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Reply to
Brad Lee

Don't. The 3.5L diesel is well known for its serious problems with its connecting rods. Apparently they bend from fatigue; the piston then is no longer square to its cylinder and the cylinder walls get scored. Some failed early others ran for very many miles. This is serious $$ so avoid these 3.5L diesels. At that time these models' designation alternated between 350SD and 300SD; I believe both use the 3.5L engine.

A 300D or 300SDL ('86 & '87) is well regarded and performs well so long as it's not overheated. Or, an older '78 to '85 300SD or '82 - '85 300D in good condition with maintenance history, is another diesel possibility - older, simple, tough and durable five cylinder diesel BUT requires a bit more maintenance than the newer engines. I've owned an '80 since new; it achieves 24 mpg in commute driving - diesels use little fuel at idle - that's a good part of their economy - and then rise to about 27 - 28 mpg on the freeway.

Alternatively, if the bulk of your use is freeway consider say an E320. It has a six - 24 valve straight six thru '97, 18 valve V-6 thereafter. On a trip my '97 E320 achieves up to 27 mpg and provides ample power - much more power than my diesel.

Finally, if you want simple, fuel efficient, diesel, but smaller, a 240D manual 4 speed or a 190D is a model to consider - and look for as not many were sold. But don't expect performance with that economy.

Hope this helps you sort it out.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Tom

Great summary. I now put it in my personal archive.

Tan

T.G. Lambach wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan