1992 300 SD door panel and center console trim removal

Hi, I just got a 1992 300 SD, I need to remove the center console trim (to change some light bulb and change the radio equip), and the back door panel (the window won't go up). I can't figure out how to do it, and I'm afraid to break something. Would anybody tell me how to do it, or tell me where to find the information? Thanks a lot.

Reply to
mariocr

re the former. I don't have your car, but they are usually pretty much the same. On mine there is a carpeted area which, when lifted, reveals a screw. Undo it and then simply lift up the center console wood carefully. I do this by using a hook and lifting on the shifter opening

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

The window will be remove the screws on the catch assembly that keeps the door closed then unscrewd the lock from the shaft, then unscrew and removed plastic from door opener handle/power window switch and last pull up on door panel and it should slide off.

Reply to
macdrone

You are not going to like removing that wood in the center console. It is 2 pieces that are held together with special Torx head screws. The seperating joint is just back from the ash tray. You will need Torx tips [ I do not remember the size, maybe a T15 or T20] like from a magnetic tip screwdriver and a 1/4" wrench. You will also need a Phillips tip. Open ash tray. Remove insert and spring below it. Loosen Phillips screw on ash tray lis. Slide wood up and the screw head will clear the hole. Remove wood. You will work in the ash tray opening to remove the two Torx screws. They go from front to rear, one on each side of the ash tray opening. You hold the tip in with one finger and turn the wrench with the other hand. Do NOT drop anything!! Be very very careful. The screws go into threaded inserts pressed into the rear section. If the inserts spin in the wood, you are literally screwed!! You will need to destroy the wood to remove it. BIG $$$$$. Here is a picture of the wood. The #44 screws are incorrectly shown. They appear as Phillips and are going the wrong way.

If and when you get the screws out, put you fingers in the ashtray hole and push up the front edge of the rear section. It is a very tight fit but it lifts up and then the rear end unhooks.

The upper half comes out after you remove the radio and then the 2 screws that go up in the top radio opening.

Be VERY careful going back together. It is a very tight fit getting the front lower edge of the rear half to clear the top edge of the front half without chipping it!

Reply to
Karl

pieces that are held

Thank you, I already removed the door panel, at least I was able to close the windows manually and keep it in the up position (yes, with a PVC water pipe), and realize I need a new regulator. So, that's done. About the center console, I have some doubts: thanks to Karl's very useful explanation, now I know it's not that simple. I need to replace the radio because the car came with no code, and the radio keep asking for it. I bought a Parrot Bluetooth Radio, but now I read that the stereo system in my car has the ampli and the radio receiver separated by the radio in the center console (actually they are located in the trunk, right?). So, questions:

- do I have to rewire the all system to install a "normal" radio?

- there is any way to "recode" the actual radio so I can avoid all this PIA?

- can I take the radio out of the console without remove the trim?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
mariocr

pieces that are held

Reply to
Karl

I hit send before I finished this......

After you slide out the radio head unit, email me the serial number on it and I will you the radio code.

2 pieces that are held
Reply to
Karl

I will you the radio

The model is BE 1432 the serial is B 9749797

Could you tell me if I can connect to this model a CD charger ???

Thanks a lot

Reply to
mariocr

92 300SD?

Most postwar Mercedes have the same method for removel of the door panels. It's really quite easy.

Richard Sexton