1992 300D sunroof switch problems...

Greetings all,

My newly-purchased 1992 300D has an interesting issue with the power sunroof.

Specifically, the sunroof has the forward-backward movement and the up-down movement, and the switch is made in such a way to mimic the movement of the roof.

However, the "down" option doesn't work...and rather makes the roof go "up". Pushing it "forward" will bring the roof forward, and then up. Basically anything other than "back" will move it "up".

If I release the switch while moving it "forward", I can stop the roof before it goes "up".

Any ideas on what's causing it? Seems like a bad switch, which should be pretty easy to replace.

On a different note, I occasionally hear intermittent ticking noises that appear to be coming from the rear axle area. They appear to correspond to each tire revolution. Occasionally they stop, but come back either in a few minutes or the next time I get into the car to drive it. Not sure what's causing it, as I can't really localize the sound. It doesn't seem to be tied to any particular driving habit (i.e. it happens when I'm going fast, slow, etc.), road condition, or other external condition. Very odd.

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

IIRC, the switch only mimics the movement but makes no different signal between forward and up (or backward and down). There is a stop mechanism in the roof when it is fully closed (before going up). That mechanism is broken.

The switch has > Greetings all,

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Interesting. Where would one find this mechanism, and how would one go about determining where it's broken? How would one repair it?

Interesting. One learns something new every day.

Reply to
Pete Stephenson