1992 300SL Questions

I recently purchased a '92 300SL with 86,000 miles on it. Now that I've had for a couple of weeks, some of the little "used car" details are coming to light.

  1. The trunk doesn't lock when you lock the car with remote. The doors and all of the interior compartments lock, but the trunk remains unlocked. The red light flashes when activating the remote to lock the doors, which indicates a problem, I just can't figure out what it is. Also, the alarm goes off if you open the trunk when the car is locked. You can manually lock the trunk with the key by turning it 90 deg. to the right, and the trunk locks fine.

  1. The transmission seem a little more sluggish than normal. I had a '90

300E 2.6 for 12 years, so I'm familiar with the MB transmission quirks, but this one seems a little more quirky. When you go from park to reverse, for instance, it seems like it takes an awful long time to engage the reverse gear. As was the case with my 300E, the tranny is very sluggish when cold, just maybe a little more so. I've been driving a Lexus for about a year and a half, so maybe it's just me, but I would be obliged if anyone has any advice on this.

  1. Coolant temperature. I was driving around town yesterday, and the temp. guage is reading about 110 deg. C. It seems to normally run about 90 deg. The owner had a new radiator put in it because one of the hose necks at broken (plastic radiator problem). It may just be the guage, but it seems to be running hotter than I'm comfortable with.

Any help on these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve & Cora Jaques