1992 400E - A good buy?

I'm looking at a few 1992 400E's and I'm really liking them. My friend has a 300TE wagon and it's extremely nice, I'm wondering if the sedan more powerful version is also good? I have heard a lot of really good
things about the 400E but what are the negatives?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something here but I cannot recall there ever being a 400E (they did make a 500E in very small numbers - these were rocket ships and quite rare)
You're not thinking of a 420SE are you, these are the W126 series whereas your mates 300TE is a W124 series.
Davor
Davor wrote:

Sorry about the last post, I've just found out that MB did do a 400E for the US market. It's just something that you do not come across here in the UK or Europe.

The W124-034 chassis 400E Sedan with the M119-975 motor was made between 1992 and 1995.
The W124 400E was rushed into the production as to counteract the sale success of Lexus and Infiniti in the early 1990s. Mercedes-Benz made at least a thousand changes to the W124 chassis just to fit the V8 motors as they weren't designed for the V8 motors in the first place.
Whilst the 500E had a proper brake system to cope with heavier motor, the early 400E wasn't fitted with stronger and higher performance brake system. My understanding is that the early 400E was prone to overheat easily in the warm days.
Both deficiencies have been remedied in the subsequent 400E and E420.
Yes, like 300CD before, 400E initially was for US market.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Would you recommend the E420 over the 400E? It seems a lot of people have a lot of trouble with the earlier E series around then 100k mile mark... Were a lot of these problems solved with the E420?

Yes, although the left cam tower and cam seems to be an issue in that motor.
I would suggest W124 E420 from 1994 on. They are much more refined and updated with changes to the design: new grille, proper headlamps (more close to European output), better integrated bumpers and full lower body cladding in body colour, some minor changes to the interior, etc. The motor displacement is increased to 4,2-litre as well.
I've personally drove both E320 and E420 of same year. Both are fairly similar other than bit more oompah and spirited in the latter. Naturally, the latter is much more thirsty than six-cylinder E320.
Don't think about the W210 E420 as it is the first year of the new body chassis. Lot of mechanical and quality control issues. Same for E430 with new 4,3-litre V8 motor.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Before you pass the cash you ought to do your pocket book a favor and at least drive a E320 or two. It uses a bit less fuel and is the more standard car so it tends to be cheaper to fix when fixing is needed. The V-8 is a good machine but does one really need its extra cost?