1992 500E

I have been doing some research about the 1992 500E sedan. Apparently it was a collaboration between Porche and MB. Is there someone out there that owns one. If so, what is the opinion. Was it a winner or a loser. What were the problems or idiosycrasies with the car?

Reply to
Vasge & Elke

MB had Porsche assemble it. Porsche was not doing anything at the time.

It is nick-named the 'Hammer' for that reason.

Reply to
Karl

It was NOT nicknamed "The Hammer" since that refers to the AMG tuned W124, not the 500E.

The 500E was a collaboration between the two companies. Mercedes did not have sufficient production space to do the chassis modifications and so the car was shuttled between the folks in Stutgardt and Zuffenhausen.

It is still a sought after model due to it's lineage, relative rarity and sleeper performance. Prices for good used examples range from $17K to mid $20K.

Reply to
MTI

Mercedes also included a sport version of the W124, the 500E, created in close cooperation with Porsche. Each 500E was hand-built by Porsche, being transported back and forth between the Mercedes plant and Porsche's Rossle-Bau plant in Zuffenhausen during assembly---taking a full 18 days to complete each model. Between 1991 and 1995, Mercedes/Porsche built a total of 10479 500E's. Of these, 1505 of the "super" sports sedans were imported into the USA between 1992-1994, or roughly 500 cars per year of importation. Called the 500E through model year 1993, in 1994, the 500E was face-lifted and re-badged the E500.

The 500E had a 32-valve V8 engine delivering 322 hp (240 kW) and 354 ft·lbf (480 N·m), with the engine being derived from the R129 500SL roadster. Sports car braking performance also came SL components: Front SL500 300mm disks with 4-piston calipers came installed on the 1992 and early 1993 cars. The later 1993, and all 1994 cars came with the upgraded 320mm set taken from the 600SL. Rear brakes on all years were

277mm brakes from the 500SL. In the USA, the 500E came fully-loaded, with the only options available to the buyer being a dealer-installed CD changer and an integrated telephone. The 500E was only available as a four-seater, with the four leather seats supplied by Recaro (the fronts heated).

Called the "Velvet Hammer" by Mercedes, and a "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" by the press, performance tests of the day yielded impressive results:

0-60 mph (97 km/h) times of 5.5 seconds and accelerateration through the quarter-mile (0.4 km) in 14.1 seconds at 101 mph (163 km/h). Top speed was electronically limited to 155 mph (251 km/h). It was rated at 14 mpg (16.8 L/100 km) in the city and 17 mpg (13.8 L/100 km) on the highway.

With its aggressive stance: 1.5 inches wider track, 0.9 inch lower profile, flared fenders, front air-dam and wide tires, the 500E is easily distinguished from its lesser brethren. Because of its look, limited numbers, hand-built construction, and unique pedigree, the 500E is already considered a "classic," even within Mercedes-Benz.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

The problem with wikipedia is that it's only as good as the person who submitted it, since it's not subject to much editorial review.

In 1987, AMG created and sold a W124 300E that featured a 6.0 L V-8 engine that took on the 930 Porsche Turbo, the Lamborghini Countach and the Ferrari Testarosa. This was called "The Hammer." There was also a W201 190E version, with a 3.2L six cylinder, nicknamed "The Baby Hammer."

The 500E, while remarkable in it's own right, is no Hammer.

Reply to
MTI

I wasn't correcting you. Recent research shows that wikipedia is only marginally worse in that respect than the Brittanica.

Well, fix the entry, if you're sure and help improve it.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Finicky. Expensive. Thrashed. If you have the money and patience these are awesome cars. Not for the dabbler or faint of heart though.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Agreed. They're cool but not legendary like say the 300SEL 6.3. Cheaper though. I thought the guy that wrote the wiki entry was trying to sell one. Or just got one. They haven't seemed to get quite the cult following other significant models, like the twincam 190 sport did for example.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

For me the main appeal would be the wolf in sheep's clothing thing (and what stops it from becoming a cult car). Driving a middle of the road looking car that has a few hundred HP under the hood. I wouldn't want to be caught dead in something like this (cult following or not):

Perhaps, when I move closer to my work and fuel cost becomes less of a factor, I'll indulge myself.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

That's generally how I feel about the car, it reminds me of the original BMW M5, very understated.

I once read an Article in Top Gear magazine I think it was, which was trying to get across the subtlety of the car, it compared the E55 AMG to a WWF wrestler (or whatever they're called now) all shouting drama, but the E500 - that was more like a 6 dan black belt in Karate wearing a Saville Row suit, it had no reason to shout because it knew it could give anything else a pretty good hiding if it needed to.

I like that in a car, it's why I like the Jaguar XJR and why I bought an old

560 SEC which I'm having renovated (and all the badges removed:-))

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Speak softly and carry a big BFG9000 ;)

Ximinez (PS:

)

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

If relaibility and cheapness are your two main criterior then a low volume specialst Mercedes assembled by Porsche fitted with a 5 litre V8 doesn't exactly tick the boxes does it?

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

You've hit the nail on the head. But that was then and this is now. I may well move a lot closer to my work (bicycle distance) and my financial prospects are a lot better than they were then. I probably won't buy one anyway ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition