1992 Mercedes 600SEL

Excellent condition low mileage under 60,000 How expensive would one estimate the annual maintenance of a car like this. Being the first year is this a bad choice.
1992 - 1999 what is the best year for the 600 series. Thanks al
I can't think of a bigger money pit than a very specialized car like a 600SL/SEL. Check the cost of a V-12 engine part, like a waterpump, vs. the same for the V-8.
These cars are cheap to buy for a good reason - their very high repair cost.
T.G. Lambach wrote:

Obscene repair cost would be more accurate,
Thanks for the replys - I am convinced . I was told years ago by a MB dealer that a MB 600 (1970 era) monthly maintenance was about $1000 now that is 1970 dollars. Had a wealthy friend with a 6.9 who complained a lot about the cost of repairs. Did not keep it very long. This was after a Rolls Corniche! I wonder about the super high tech currrent models. multiple air bags - multiple sensors - extreme complexity air springs. Will these be the nightmare of the future. I will stick with my pristine 1991 560SEL AL
Kenneth P. Stox wrote:

I always heard that the 6.9 is the biggest Mercedes money pit. Richard

that's if you rely on dealers to do everything - sure.
Well actually, the mechanic was talking about the amount of stuff that will need doing and parts cost, not labor. He said it was worse than a 6.3, and probably the absolute worst Benz money pit. Richard

6.9's "were" the money pits, but Mercedes up'd that title a notch with the pre 1995 S-class series. As a previous owner of a 1992 500SEL, I can tell you it was a nightmare to repair & maintain, and mine was STILL under warranty. The suspensions are troublesome, the a/c is troublesome, the power seats can be troublesome and ANY dealer work is outrageously expensive, but still there are few cars that are so heavy, yet drive, ride and handle so well.