1992 Mercedes 600SEL

Excellent condition low mileage under 60,000 How expensive would one estimate the annual maintenance of a car like this. Being the first year is this a bad choice.

1992 - 1999 what is the best year for the 600 series. Thanks al
Reply to
Al

I can't think of a bigger money pit than a very specialized car like a

600SL/SEL. Check the cost of a V-12 engine part, like a waterpump, vs. the same for the V-8.

These cars are cheap to buy for a good reason - their very high repair cost.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Obscene repair cost would be more accurate,

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

Reply to
marlinspike

Thanks for the replys - I am convinced . I was told years ago by a MB dealer that a MB 600 (1970 era) monthly maintenance was about $1000 now that is 1970 dollars. Had a wealthy friend with a 6.9 who complained a lot about the cost of repairs. Did not keep it very long. This was after a Rolls Corniche! I wonder about the super high tech currrent models. multiple air bags - multiple sensors - extreme complexity air springs. Will these be the nightmare of the future. I will stick with my pristine 1991 560SEL AL

Kenneth P. Stox wrote:

Reply to
Al

that's if you rely on dealers to do everything - sure.

Reply to
Ziggy Switkowski

Well actually, the mechanic was talking about the amount of stuff that will need doing and parts cost, not labor. He said it was worse than a 6.3, and probably the absolute worst Benz money pit. Richard

Reply to
marlinspike
6.9's "were" the money pits, but Mercedes up'd that title a notch with the pre 1995 S-class series. As a previous owner of a 1992 500SEL, I can tell you it was a nightmare to repair & maintain, and mine was STILL under warranty. The suspensions are troublesome, the a/c is troublesome, the power seats can be troublesome and ANY dealer work is outrageously expensive, but still there are few cars that are so heavy, yet drive, ride and handle so well.
Reply to
Glenflow55