1993 190E Speakers Stop/Start Working

The speakers on my 1993 190E started having problems some months ago. First one speaker in the rear cut out, then (a few weeks later) the second rear speaker, then (a few weeks later) the right front speaker. With each speaker, the output dropped drastically and sounded very distorted. Sometimes, I can turn up the volume to almost max and

-bang!- the speaker will suddenly start blasting out sound. I can then drop the volume to normal and the speaker sounds like it should.

Since the speakers can provide normal output, I presume the problem is with the radio itself or possibly the wiring. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Did replacing the radio solve the problem?

Thanks, Will

Reply to
Will Deatrick

Sounds like the radio itself is on the way out. The radio in my 92 190E 2.6 would have sound and then no sound so I just replaced it with an after market unit. There is a remote chance that the fader control in the console might also be the culprit.

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

I recognize this problem. Especially the fact that turning up the volume would suddenly bring the sound back again. I'm sorry but I don't remember finding the cause, it's a long time ago. I think I just traded in the car a little after that. Well, that's one solution I guess ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Thanks for your suggestions Peter and Ximinez. Not sure what I will do yet.

Reply to
Will Deatrick

Same car, same problem.....

Any answers??