1993 300 SE a/c intermittent problem

Hi,a friend of mine has intermittent problem with air-con (sometime it works fine, sometime don't), blowing cold air n at times not. Appreciate if someone can help.

Joey

Reply to
camle93

Check the sight glass on the receiver/dryer and see, when it's blowing cold air, how many bubbles you observe in the freon flow. If there're lots of bubbles, add freon and it should work okay.

Reply to
John

Funny thing, I JUST had the same problem on my '82 300SD. It would blow cold for awhile then suddenly blow hot. The climate control works fine, because the blower kicks into high to try to cool the car, but nothing but hot air came out. Shut it off for about 15 minutes and it'll blow cold again. So I took it in to have the freon charged. Turned out it was the same price to have the system converted instead of paying for the freon and found that the problem wasn't solved. The final diagnosis: the compressor couldn't keep up with the system (remember it's 22 years old) when it got too hot. Solution: I'll need to replace the compressor and associated parts. And I HAVE to do it here in 122 degree Phoenix. (But it's a DRY heat)

Reply to
R_E_ODonnell

That's odd behavior for an "old" compressor. The cold to warmer transition should have been gradual, not abrupt. I bet the clutch was bad and when you bought the new compressor, it came with a new clutch.

Reply to
John

It's likely that the pressure switch may be malfunctioning and therefore at times, the magnetic clutch is not engaging the compressor. Try by-passing the pressure switch and if the compressor works, then it's time to replace the pressure switch.

Reply to
ABStaR

Reply to
Victor