1993 300SL

There is a 1993 300SL for sale about 10 miles from my house. I love MB, bought my wife an ML320. I'd like to get a used roadster for myself, was thinking of a Z3, but I really like the looks of this 300SL. Price tag on this is lower than blue book. It's a automatic with 109,000. I've searched all over for info on this car but haven't had much luck. Can anyone here give me your thoughts on the 1993 300SL in general?

TIA!

Reply to
<robnchi

As far as the R129 ,go for the 500SL over the 300SL,about 85 more HP !The 500SL is a fun roadster but check the area in the trunk where battery is located for corrosion!Also check the top for the rear lid to function smoothly when top tucks in,and smooth function of the rollbar.

Reply to
CaptainW116

I have a 95 SL320 with the 5spd auto trans.and I am extremely happy with the car. Power is adequate and fuel economy is just great. The reliability of the cast iron block sixes is legendary. The V8 tends to have lousy fuel economy and more maintenance issues. Unless you have the need for speed I personally would stay away from the V8 engines. Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

I agree with Peter on the engine... bulletproof. I would buy one myself... SL320.

Reply to
Tiger

Whats the point of owning a roadster without blistering performance?So it needs more attention,but thats not what its all about! Also bet

500SL will be worth more in the future,say 20 years from now than the 300SL!
Reply to
CaptainW116

The average person would kill themselves trying to use the extra horses. The

300SL is more than good enough for everyday hell raising.

cp

Reply to
cp

No autobahns around.

cp

Reply to
cp

SL500 blistering performance ??????, but definitely a gas hog Maybe you meant the SL600 ? Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Well,I'm going by the price range the guy is thinking about.Whats the retail of 93 500SL compared to SL600?I think he is going about this with a certain dollar amount he wants to spend,but yeah,SL600 is a beast no doubt and 500SL is a slug in comparison!

Reply to
CaptainW116

(I'm using a different account to post this reply, but I started this post)...

I was looking for something < 20K. This 300SL is going for 14 which seems like a pretty good deal. I test drove it yesterday and it was really rough from 0 - 10 MPH but fine after that. It is a sweet ride. The guy said the car sat for 6 months and he had to put some fuel ignition cleaner in it and that the car would run fine from 0 - 10 once that worked its way through the system. For a 1993, the interior and exterior are very clean. The compression was marked on the block and it was 175 - 180 across the board. I'm very tempted...

Thanks for all the great replies!

Capta> Well,I'm going by the price range the guy is thinking about.Whats the

Reply to
holdemrob