1993 diesel engine

I have heard of problems with the 1991 350 diesel engine. Did this continue with the 1993 300 diesel? Any comments appreciated.

wboyle

Reply to
Bill Boyle

"The Problem" is that this engine's original connecting rods bent, apparently from metal fatigue. A bent rod caused its piston to score the cylinder wall. #1 and #4 cylinders were particularly involved.

Original purchasers of these cars (when new) received new or repaired engines, subsequent purchasers pay their own (substantial) repair bills.

More substantial connecting rods were later offered as replacements, I don't know if those are still available.

I like diesels but, IMHO, wouldn't buy one of these cars unless it were discounted by the cost of a replacement engine.

Don't know if '93 MY engine was any different.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"The Problem" with these 3.5L diesels is caused by connecting rods that bend, probably from metal fatigue. A bent con. rod causes its piston to score the cylinder's wall. #1 and #4 cylinders are often the offenders.

Owners who bought these cars new were protected but subsequent purchasers have to pay their own bills for repairs and engine replacement. A lot of unhappiness came from this engine. The problem with this engine is known to many but not to the unsuspecting.

Heavier con. rods were made available as replacements, I don't know if they still are available.

I don't know if the '93 MY engine differs from the earlier ones.

I like diesels but, IMHO, would not buy this one, except at a large enough discount to cover the cost of a replacement engine.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

T.G., I don't mean to dispute your response, but I bought my 350SDL used in

1994 with 35000 miles. Engine did fail at 57K, MB assisted with repair to the tune of over $5K. Granted I still had to pay a significant $$ but nontheless it helped. My 350 now has 225K on it and the engine is still strong...wish I could say same about the transmission!
Reply to
Dave

You are the first non-original purchaser, now known to me, to have received assistance, albeit at 57K miles on the original engine.

The good news is the subsequent 168K miles on the repair job.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach