1994 MB E420-W124- Cam oil line tube question

If the cam follower ticking noise sometimes disappears, does that indicate a clogged oil line tube or could it be the typical tube end is gone? I thought if the end was missing the ticking sound would not
disappear.
Thanks, Fredrik
Derf-E420-94 wrote:

Hydraulic cam followers usually get a varnish on them - thats when they start to seize and stick due to this build up.
As the varnish forms they start to stick intermittently. If you do not take corrective actions they will stick up tightly and the ticking will not go away.
EJ in NJ
Rob wrote:

Are you using synthetic oil?
Tiger wrote:

Why would you use synthetic oil in this model of a car.
Any one of them would be good.
Mobil 1 5W30... Amsoil 5W30 or 0W30
I tend to find the best deal as I can and I change my oil every 10,000 miles or 1 year for synthetic oil.
As for buying oil... it all depends on if you do your own work or you have someone change it for you.

It is most likely that the camshaft and rocker are worn. Remove the valve cover and turn the engine over till you see the cam lobe. It most likely has a flat spot. If so replace cam and worn rockers. Good luck Mike
On Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:12:42 AM UTC-4, Derf-E420-94 wrote:

Replaced radiator and ticking noise quieted. I guess the extra heat from the poor cooling... Then later sold car...bought another... (absolutely one of the best cars ever built...W124 series)