1995 E320 Cruise Control

This is the last problem I'm fighting with this car. I'm at the point of fix or sell this thing, and my hand is being forced by the check engine light being on meaning I can't get a clean smog test meaning I can't
renew the registration. But I wander.
Cruise control. At first it just wouldn't engage by moving the stalk to the Set/Accel position. If on a trip and I would stop to buy gas, then sometimes it wouldn't engage if it had worked before, or would engage if it wouldn't before.
Finally the Set/Accel stopped working. Then I discovered that Set/Decel would work to set it. Same kind of intermittency. Then that stopped working.
Had the switch in the steering column replaced. Once or twice the CC worked normally, e.g., up to speed 65-70 and then set it. No more. Then I discovered that it would work intermittently at lower speeds, 30 - 35 MPH. If it was working/on and I accelerated to a higher speed it would stop working. Seems like there is a speed at which it stops working. The stealer suggests replacing the CC module for only $700, but I don't want to do that if it won't fix the problem.
Nice car. Just these really strange problems get really exasperating!
Thanks
Rod
Suggest you look at http://gdl-online.com/begin.html
This fellow is down in Morro Bay CA and his site may answer your questions.