1995 S420 Airconditioning

I mifgt buy a 1995 S420 with 126,000 miles on it. My mechanic said to be carefull because to fix the air conditioning on this model take like 25 hours of labor and could run between $3000 and $4,000 to fix. Has anyone
else had that experience?
Thanks
It is common knowledge on the W140 where people said their evaporator is leaking... and the evaporator is buried deep in the dashboard.
Some use sealer with some success... other just didn't try and paid a fortune for the job. By this time, most of evaporator should have been changed already... no one can live without A/C.
Evaporator replacement has been a common problem on this model MB....and the price of the job is all over the place depending on who does the work. Low end at a good indie shop probably around $2K.....high end at a stealership.....$3500K.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm