1995 Sl320 third brakelight malfunction

I just noticed that my bar across my trunklid does not light up when I press on the brake pedal.I took a voltmeter and tested the unit and the bulbs are ok.Does anyone know where the common areas are where the wiring might be faulty or maybe a fuse or relay problem? The backup and lights and both left and right brakelights work fine.

Reply to
sl3204me

My '94 SL had a similar problem which I traced to a break in the wiring where it flexes to follow the contour of the right side trunk hinge (accessible by lifting the felt-covered trunk lid covering).

If you are not getting voltage (or the ground) to the light bar, you may want to use a needle probe and voltage checker to locate the break Start at the connector in the harness (using a normal probe), and if the power/ground is okay there, use the needle probe to determine the precise location.

Use heat-shrink tubing to insulate and protect any repairs you make.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hyndman