1996 E230 Remote Control Not Working

My 1996 E230 ignition key is not working. It will not open and close the door lock remotely. I change both its batteries and also tried to synchronise (by pressing transmitter twice while pointing at the sensor in
the internal rear mirror and then turning key to position 2 on steering lock, as prescribed by the owner's manual) but it still won't work.
Can someone help me.