1996 E320 viscous fan needs replacing

The mechanical fan behind the radiator of my 1996 E320 is barely turning and making tons of noise, I assume that the clutch is bad. Is this a tough job
to do? What has to be torn down to do the repair?
Many thanks,
Don
On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:49:02 -0700 you wrote:

Please buy a repair book. I you don't know what to do, you shouldn't do this.
Marcus E320 '96
just done this on my 230 1996 ... I would suggest if you need to change the fan coupler that you also check the water pump ..
the engine was overheating badly .. until you get your fixed keep an eye on this as my resulted in the radiator exploding ( and dinting my bonnet! )
you need to .. Drain the coolant Remove the radiator (you can do it without doing this but it's hard ) and fan cover. Watch out as some of the spring clips 'spring' off !! Remove the fan and change the coupler.
When I did mine I change the water pump 50 and put on a new pulley belt 10 and of course the radiator (100) The fan coupler was 75
Took two of us about 1hr (would have been more tricky if there is only one of you doing it) .. but before you start check that you have a spanner big enough to remove the fan coupler ( this is the big nut that you can see without having to take anything a part ).. mine was on very well and took a while to get it off. .. also note that its a left hand thread.
Good luck

More likely the water pump. The fan is straight ahead though, look at it and figure it out.