1996 UK E320 Engine revving at idle when hot.

E320 (210 series engine) automatic.

I have a problem that - when warm the engine revs pulse when stopped with auto in drive ( ie when stopped at traffic lights).

Has anybody any idea of the cause.

TIA

Tony Hann

Reply to
edward

does it do this in neutral aswell, or just D?

possibly an air leak on the intake side

Reply to
Nick Hogg

No, the revs tend to settle in idle.

Thanks for your comment I will check for air leak on intake.

Tony Hann

Reply to
edward

hm ... if it was an air leak, then engine would rev when not in gear also. it may be that the clutch packs in the trans are on their way out, or/and slipping

Reply to
Nick Hogg

In fact I have checked today and the problem does occur in neutral and park. Probably less noticeable due to not having to work against transmission load. I have noticed, at times, a high pitched whistling sound at low revs, could this be the clue?

Once again I appreciate your help.

Tony Hann.

Reply to
edward
1996 UK E320 Engine revving at idle when hot. Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Mon, Jun 23, 2003, 7:39pm (PDT+7) From: snipped-for-privacy@gif123.demon.co.uk =A0=A0E320 (210 series engine) automatic. I have a problem that - when warm the engine revs pulse when stopped with auto in drive ( ie when stopped at traffic lights). Has anybody any idea of the cause. TIA Tony Hann ****************************************************** MAS Meter Remove connector and see if rev pulse stops This might trigger Check Engine Light CE light can be re-set by disconnecting battery for a few minutes, but you'll need to re-set the radio with its security code. Eventually your rev surges will get worse, and your CE Light will come on, typical sign of a failed MAS meter If you don't know what the MAS meter is, its a hollow plastic tube with a connector on top located between the air cleaner cover and a pipe going to the intake manifold. Here's a link to a pic:
DefLizard

Thanks for the information. I will try as you suggest.

Thanks for the link

Tony Hann

Reply to
edward

I have had replaced the MAS Meter with a borrowed new unit and the problem still exists ! Do you have any other possible cause of this problem. I am taking the car to the South of France in ten days and I am worried that further problems will develop.

Reply to
edward