1997 E class rust warranty

We have a 1997 E300 turbodiesel estate which is suffering from bad corrosion from the inside out. We bought it when it was 2 years old and it has a full
MB service history.
We recently asked our local dealer (Cruickshanks, Bristol, UK) to repair it under warranty. They took photos and then a month later told us they'd lost them. A month or so later, having taken a second set, they told my wife that the car is not covered under warranty because the anti-corrosion warranty on the car when new was only for 7 years. My wife rang MB UK who thought it was only 2 years from new!
Does anyone know what was the period of anti-corrosion ccover on new E class vehicles in 1997 and, if we are still in cover, know where I can find documetary evidence to support this?
I'm grateful for any help on this
Stuart Whitfield
Stuart,
These cars have a history of corrosion and Mercedes is well aware of it.
I had rust repairs done to my car well after the anti-corrosion warranty ran out, and I was not the original owner. I am in Canada. My '98 E320 has had rust on trunk lid, inside door seals and leading to exterior mirrors, in battery storage, top of front spring supports, in engine compartment at bottom where plastic guard attaches just behind radiator. Except for last item (still to be fixed), all rust was repaired by MB Canada.
I would suggest that you write to MB in the UK and explain the problem. If they try and diss you off, don't give up. There is a ton of evidence on the net to back up your case. Collect evidence of the problem and get back to them. They are desperate to regain their reputation. If necessary, contact MB in Stuttgart. Tell them you bought a MB because of their reputation for quality!
You might ask your question here http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk and here http://www.mercedesshop.com and get some other perspectives.
Good Luck

USA limited warranty: 48 months / 50,000 miles, longer on emission controls.
No mention of body corrosion, rust etc. in Warranty Booklet.

I am sure my warranty booklet does mention corrosion. Just looked up new car warranty on MB website - It says 4 years for surface corrosion and 5 years for perforation.
But in the case of these cars with known problems, MB will in many cases cover rust repairs, just to maintain goodwill. I have had two such repairs done.
Regards.
Simple way to handle it is to just dump the junker and go on to a good brand - like a Ford Escort or something. Face it - Mercedes is a junk line of cars which is entirely overpriced. The stealership repair shops are in business only to screw you over worse than the sales - maybe they have a monthly contest to see who can screw some customer worse? But if you want something in particular from it, like a comfortable seat, then go ahead and waste the money on one if you can find it. I know that if I buy a new MB it will be an endless series of frustrations and incredible ownership costs. That is what the MB line means now that they look like the crummy chrysler cars. But if the new model has a seat as comfortable as the old junker I drive now, I might buy one since I love pounding money down rat holes!
mcbrue realisticaly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
...... snip

Jiminy Cricket ..... having a bad day? I've had just the opposite experience. A '93 190e and a '89 300e have given exemplary service. Both have about 200k km and the only repair the 300e needed was a water pump this summer and the 190 has needed.... ah, nothing. But then again, I'm a firm believer that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; ie I do regular fluid changes etc.
cheers, guenter
According to my MB dealer the Mobilo life 30 year warranty was initiated on vehicles manufactured from October 1998, and onwards. I have had warranty work done on my 1999 E 220 CDI ( all four doors have been replaced)
Steinar
So you have finally dumped your Merc and bought a Kudzu?? Your signature still shows a Merc, though
DAS
"mcbrue" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
mcbrue wrote:

Heh!
Maybe the super long warranty is a worthwhile expense?
.

Now which one would that be for a 1997 car?