1997 E320 Problems

Help..Over the past 2 months, I have spent over $2500 in repairs and again the car broke down. Has anyone experienced the following: 1. Car unable to accelerate over 35 miles per hour. Repaired the air flow
sensor and topped off fluids 2.Two week later same problem. Repaired Transmission body valve. (another $900). 2. You can feel every bump on the road. Car riding ruff. I feel like I am driving a TRUCK.
Help...Should I trade it in?
I've owned the same model since it was new and have not had these problems. So let's get into it.
Starting with the ride, yes it's firm, too much so IMHO, but that's me, so I suggest you check the tires' air pressure with a tire gauge and set the pressures to those listed inside the fuel door. (IMHO these 3,650 lb cars' tires are too wide, causing a too firm ride and quick steering.)
How many miles has your car done?
When was the fuel filter last changed?
You had the engine's air flow sensor repaired? or replaced?
When you drive it (up to 35 mph) what's happening? Is the transmission in 2nd gear and the engine racing? Or does the transmission shift normally but the engine lag - not accelerate beyond a certain rpm?
Be patient, these problems can be sorted out.
It sounda like you may have a plugged cat converter... I assumed the air flow meter was bad and causing rich fuel emission... how long has this been going on before repair?
Even if you were to trade it in, they won't take it due to the problem you got now.
Who is working on your car? Dealer or independent?
Or rather:
I had same problem with my 1991 S300 (European W140 - similar to US 1992 model).
Bad air flow meter caused too lean mixture, causing catalyst to overheat and melt down, i.e. the ceramic structure pulverized and was blown into the muffler system, again causing this to block.
With the bad air flow meter the car in this case would run with a little less power and quite some hessitation in accelleration. But whith the blown catalyst and blocked exhaust system, there was almost no power left to get above 35 mph.
Repair cost at a dealer was 5.000$ including new air flow meter, catalyst, oxygen sensor and complete exhaust system.
But then it runs beatifully again.
Your problem could be the same.
Alot of time, you don't need to buy Mercedes cat... you can cut out your Mercedes cat and put in equivalent sized cat and alot cheaper... like $300 per cat.
"benz1gal" wrote:

flow
try cleaning the injectors and fuel filter and check your oil. if your oil was bad, replace it immediately.
Good luck :D