1997 e420 Front Right Coil Spring Crack

Just had the front right coil spring crack on my e420 and wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue and whether this was normal or a manufacturing defect. In looking at the spring after the MB dealer
completed the repair, there is rust only where the spring seperated and no where else (spring looks brand new otherwise). Repair bill (springs have to be replaced in pairs so I was told, as well as front end alignment) came to $666.00.
Have owned MB for over 15 years and never heard of this.
Your thoughts appreciated. Thankks!
Kelly wrote:

Common problem. The spring perch rusts off the frame, the suspension collapses. "Engineered like no other car in the world!"

Thanks Rob.
Thought the spring perch was the cause as well, however it was perfectly clean. Thata what makes this so puzzeling.