1997 Sport AMG ?

A local lot with a good reputation has a used 1997 Sport AMG with 63K miles for $7000. Any comments on that year model please. It handles well, no squeaks
or dents that I could detect that would indicate anything wrong. I've had a couple of E320's and know this will be a smaller version but with an AMG engine, I've heard that's good. ??? Thanks for opinions, Joe
Joe wrote:

Correction: 112K miles with strange sounding tires. Joe
I don't think AMG has any official MB in 1997... I think the only way to know it is real AMG is the AMG door placard and verify with the factory.
Anyone can put AMG wheels on the car and add AMG badge on the trunk.
Strange sounding tires? Probably cheap tires...
If it is true AMG car, then the premium is probably worth it... but otherwise for 1997 E320, the price sounds a bit high.
If it has factory HID, that is a good bonus... otherwise, I'd be skeptical.
Tiger wrote:

The C36 and E36 were available in 1997 depending on what market you were in.
Tiger wrote:

it had some. ;-) )
The first thing I'll do is check for the AMG placard, I've never seen one but it should be obvious. I just checked around a bit and found on The Tire Racks page a KUMHO that looks familiar. It is listed as Ecsta ASX Ultra High Performance for $58. Don't know how a UHP tire can only cost $58 when a Michelin X-Ice studless is $96.
One other question: I just found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class#Engines a comment that I believe says the engine is a straight 6 diesel! Is that true?
Joe
The AMG placard is always located by the driver door where the usual placard is.
As for the diesel, 1997 has the same engine as from 1995 to 1997... straight 6 all aluminum engine normally aspirated. 1998 and 1999 get turbocharged version and is fast and powerful. I would get the 1998 or 1999 instead of 1996.
1995 and 1996 diesel get 4 speed automatic transmission is not good... it revs very high on highway speed. The 1997 gets a 5 speed transmission and is much better. The 1998 and 1999 get more powerful diesel and 5 speed transmission and is quite fast... 0-60 in 8 seconds with incredible fuel mileage.