1998 C 230 Check Engine Light Won't go off

I have a 1998 C230 that has a check engine light that won't turn off at all. I had it in to a private garage who reset the light with a scanner, but 3 days later it came back on. The scanner showed 2 codes (sorry don't have them in front of me) that basically said that the charcoal canister needed to be purged and the other referred to some kind of manifold vacuum leak. The mechanic checked and could not find any vacuum leaks. Also, if they work as I think they do, the canister should self purge after a short while. The light reappeared after about 3 days when I came to a stop in traffic. Any clues? This is my first Mercedes after owning Fords for nearly 30 years. Not a good start in my mind. Thanks!!! Dave

Reply to
Dave HD

(1) Replace the fuel filler cap ($30 at dealer);

(2) While at the dealer, show the parts counter your VIN and ask for the radio code for your car;

(3) Disconnect the battery after replacing the fuel filler cap, wait 10 minutes, and reconnect.

(4) Enter the radio code to re-enable the radio (enter the numbers then press SCN button).

Reply to
Newsgroup Reader