1998 C220 Diesel - change of engine question

Dear All,
I live in the UK. I recently bought a C220 diesel 1998. I really like this car, but the engine has run a lot of mile and I would like to change it.
Do you think I could change the actual engine with the one of a C220 CDI of the same age? Is it legal to do this in the UK?
Thanks very much in advance for your time,
David
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

David Hi
A lot of miles? More than 200k? If not then don't change it unless / until there is a problem.
Certainly don't put an equivalent engine in until you have to. There were some problems around 97/98. My colleague had to have his C220D engine replaced at 105k
Upgrade if you can or want to but I would leave well alone if only doing a like for like.