1998 C230 Rear End Noise??

Sent an email before but will try again..Have any of you owners had troubles at all with rear end noise on a C230 MB. ?? I had a seal leak at 12k and fixed but
now I hear a possible whine (not sure) between 20 and 30 mph.. Is this possible or am I getting worked up over "nothing" and just imagining things?? Car runs great otherwise at 60 K miles.. Thanks again
larry
check the fluid in the rear end.
also when you hear the noise shift to a lower gear but keeping the same speed.
if the noise goes away look at the tranny for problems along with power steering pump & the like running off the belts.
the case, minus a few cans!
C230 sedan I had did have a whining rrrrowwww-rrrrowwwww-rrrowwww sound between 20 and 30 mph.
It turned out to be a failed or dry wheel bearing in the passenger side rear wheel. Replaced at the dealer in about an hour, and completely silenced the problem.
Sounded like excessive tire noise, bad rear sound insulation or a differential whine -- turned out it was a wheel bearing, and the sound was resonating through the entire rear axle and trunk area, making it difficult to determine what exactly was causing the whine.
30K miles on the car when the noise started.

Thanks Rugbyguy for the info. I didn't think the rear wheels had bearings but now that i think about it I guess the car has a different transaxle set up.. Thanks again.
Larry
You're welcome.
I didn't actually see the work performed; they told me it was a bad wheel bearing. It sounded to be more of a speed-related droning under the entire rear seat than distinctly from the wheel or tire, but whatever they replaced, it worked.
I'm not sure whether it was a bearing at the wheel hub, or something internal in the axle; it was done under warranty, so I didn't ask much about it. They did say it was a bad wheel bearing, though, whatever that means in a 2000 C230K.

On 2005-01-07 08:36:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Boelkowj) said:

Dude! All wheels have bearings!
Marty
Martin: I was thinking easily replaced tapered type wheel bearings that we all know about. Does the C230 have those type or are they pressed in. I'd like to do the bearing job myself if needed and if like the front wheel tapered type.
Larry
On 2005-01-08 08:11:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Boelkowj) said:

tapered type?
Usually if it's a wheel bearing that is making the noise, steering the car from side to side while going down the road (carefully!!) will change the pitch of the sound or make it go away altogether.
Also with the wheels jacked up, you can try to wiggle them with your hands and see if you feel any extra play.
Marty
Marty: My suspicions are that the pinion gear is "scuffed" due to low lub/leaky seal at 20,000 miles. I am tempted to try a 90-100 weight lub rather than 80 to see if it will quiet down a little. Thanks.
Larry
On 2005-01-28 07:20:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Boelkowj) said:

No problem, somtimes these can be shimmed too if there is slack...
Marty
Or you could just get a louder radio.
Marty

My merc 220 -71 had the same symptoms and it was the pinion bearing so i changed the whole differential (bought a used one) it worked ok for several years, then i forgot the regular (two-three times a year) oilcheck and same shit again, then i put some molybdendisulfide powder in it and now ten years after it still is working but with a slight sound. So try it and maybe some heavy lube for outboard drive gears, works nice.
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /