1998 E320 Fault codes

My engine light just came on and the message "check engine electronics" flashed on the display. I hooked up the computer to it and the codes PO170
and PO173 came up. These are defined as "fuel trim bank right" and "fuel trim bank left". Could anybody please enlighten me to what those codes really mean and what do I have to do to fix them?
Thank you in advance
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:40:47 GMT, "Cris Radaneata"

From memory I think these are for self adaptation reaching min/max limit on each bank of cylinders. This is to do with mixture control.
You need to get the self adaptation values reset by your dealer, they do this by "boot strapping" the control unit. Hopefully this is the last you will hear of it, most of the time its just a temporary glitch and it won't re-occur, but if it happens again then its head scratching time...
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
One cheap thing to do is check your gas cap. If it is not on tight it can cause these types of errors. Also, I had a friend who had this problem but it took 100 miles or so of driving to clear the "Check Engine" light.
Joel
wrote:

PO170
Common Mass Air Flow problem [ MAF] There has been a part upgrade and it is a simple DIYer plug-in part..