1998 S420 Factory Phone

Hi,
I just picked a 1998 S420 with a factory phone and all. My problem is that the factory phone is portable, it is hideously large. I would prefer to use
any GSM phone if possible instead. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of where to get a some sorts of a converter that would enable me to use another phone with the factory built in kit.
Thanks,
Pooh