1999 300E - hard to start, stalls easily

The subject line describes it all... it cranks but takes forever to start, it might idle for a while but it stalls easily, and putting the tranny in "D" will kill the engine unless I have it revving well above idle. Car is in generally good shape, but I'm driving it hardly at all 'cause I bought another M-B brand that gets about double the mileage, making it a superb commuter and go-around-town car (and actually isn't bad for the occasional road trip).

Hints, suggestions, what to suggest to the repair shop ... and yeah, how about a recommendation for a decent M-B shop in the southern part of Seattle, if any of you know of one? Seems like the best M-B shops are in the north end of the city or out in the east-side 'burbs.

Thanks all.

Reply to
yod-yog+ais

It's starving. Either because of too little fuel - possibly due to malfunction in fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulator or fuel filter, or because of too much air - possibly due a vacuum leak in the intake manifold system (including vacuum lines). Or because of wrong measurement of air intake due to malfunctioning air mass sensor (MAF).

Reply to
Jens

First of all, what is the exact model of this car? There is no 300E 1999 model.

Reply to
Tiger

On 11/9/2008 3:38 PM Tiger ignored two million years of human evolution to write:

OMG, I just noticed the typo ... apologies to the group.

*1991* 300E, gasoline-fueled, standard engine. My bad.
Reply to
yod-yog+ais

A while back... a lady had the same problem with her car and the dealer diagnosed it for faulty voltage regulator...

I really don't know how that affects the starting... but it could be it for your car. Same body.

Reply to
Tiger

So after all that its a 124-030 with a 103.983 motor

You can get that off the ID plate BTW.

More than likely its the fuel, starting valve, pressure which is low. may need replacing

this will cause the problem.

its down on the LHS of the engine

Rob

As sad before, fuel supply or air supply. Make your Indy test the idle control valve and clean it. Test. If the problem remains, Check for lair leaks. After that, check for the gas supply starting at the fuel tank 'till the fuel injectors. If all is ok until that, OVP relay, lambda sensor or wiring harness. I have exactly the same MY. Love this car.

RSalles

Reply to
mobi

I have the same model car and around 250000 miles the same thing happen to mine it had very little power. It turned out to be the ignition coil a used one off Ebay fixed it. It was an extremly week spark. maybe you'll be so lucky

"yod-yog+ais" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Reply to
91_300E M/BENZ
91_300E M/BENZ wrote, On 11/22/2008 03:07 PM:

It turned out to be related to ignition all right - distributor rotor and cap with heavily oxidized contacts and a broken bracket. So it wasn't fuel starvation after all, it was the firing that was damaged. Now repaired, and it ran so sweetly when I drove it again. Gotta drive it just a smidge more often now.

Reply to
der gediegene dgs

What's a "dgs"?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Dori A Schmetterling wrote, On 01/10/2009 07:20 AM:

It's analogous to a "DAS."

Reply to
der gediegene dgs