1999 c280 broken front Axel

I was invovled in a hit and run and I think my front axel is broken, both of my tires are facing opposite directions. I am waiting to hear from my insurance company but is this repairable? I have heard that when an axel breaks they usually pay you the trade in value and that is all you get. Anyone know if this is true. Thanks

-- JBHEWKO
View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-387918.htm
Send from http://www.carstalk.ne

Probably broken tie rods.

The way it works, is that if the cost of the repair is greater then the "book" value of the car, it's officially "totaled". You can still buy it back from the insurance company for "salvage value" and repair it.
Good Luck, Marty
Ox carts, stage coaches and large trucks have sold front axles, modern cars have independently sprung front wheels and linkages to aim them in the drivers' preferred direction. Any number of these suspension parts could be deformed and therefore MUST be REPLACED - not straightened and reinstalled. If the unibody is deformed that's a whole other matter.
Don't jump to conclusions about the car being "totaled". Have a competent body shop estimate its repair cost and give you a list of the parts to be replaced. And when you have that list come back with a specific question or two.