1999 C280 CD Player problem

I have a six CD player located in the trunk. It is loaded with six CD's and yet I get a message saying that there are no CD's present. I cannot get the CD carrier (the part that holds the six CDs and CD holders)in the unit to release. It looks like one of the CD holders (the part that holds an individual CD)is stuck part way into the player part of the unit. Anybody know how to free this up or fix the problem? TIA, EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Yeah, that happens when the gripper is bad... the rubber thing that grabs the cd. Disconnect the unit and take it apart to release it... or send to service. Chances are, if you don't repair it, it will happen again.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the info. Now I only need to figure out how to get the damn thing out of the trunk. Any clues?

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

It is pretty easy, just shine flashlight down there and you will figure it out. I installed it long ago so I can't remember... it was easy to install. Just be careful with the orange fiber optic cable.

Reply to
Tiger

Ernie Willson wrote in news:46167412$0$24289 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

My girlfriend has the same problem. I took it out and messed with it but it did it again. They don't last long. If you take it to get it fixed, they are going to charge you more then it's worth. Chuck it out and get an in dash player.

Reply to
Steve

I disagree with removing the head unit. The reason is the integrated steering wheel control. Repair should not b that much money...

Reply to
Tiger

A 99 C280 doesn't have steering wheel controls for the stereo.

Reply to
-

Really? Well, then by all mean, swap it out for a good unit.

Reply to
Tiger