1999 C280 CD Player problem

I have a six CD player located in the trunk. It is loaded with six CD's and yet I get a message saying that there are no CD's present. I cannot get the CD carrier (the part that holds the six CDs and CD holders)in
the unit to release. It looks like one of the CD holders (the part that holds an individual CD)is stuck part way into the player part of the unit. Anybody know how to free this up or fix the problem? TIA, EJ in NJ
Yeah, that happens when the gripper is bad... the rubber thing that grabs the cd. Disconnect the unit and take it apart to release it... or send to service. Chances are, if you don't repair it, it will happen again.
Tiger wrote:

Thanks for the info. Now I only need to figure out how to get the damn thing out of the trunk. Any clues?
EJ in NJ
It is pretty easy, just shine flashlight down there and you will figure it out. I installed it long ago so I can't remember... it was easy to install. Just be careful with the orange fiber optic cable.

My girlfriend has the same problem. I took it out and messed with it but it did it again. They don't last long. If you take it to get it fixed, they are going to charge you more then it's worth. Chuck it out and get an in dash player.
I disagree with removing the head unit. The reason is the integrated steering wheel control. Repair should not b that much money...

A 99 C280 doesn't have steering wheel controls for the stereo.
Really? Well, then by all mean, swap it out for a good unit.