1999 e300 turbodiesel

Folks,
Just purchased a 1999 e300 td with 47k miles on it (yes 47k). Have a few questions and would appreciate owner feed-back.
(1) Operating Temp (OT) on freeway seems to be around 80 degree
centigrade. This is lower than other MB diesels I have owned. Although OT goes to around 90 oC when not driving at hwy speed. Is this is what is expected?
(2) Diesel milage seems to be improving significantly with auto climate off (from 31-32 MPG to 35-36 MPG). Does the compressor suck-up that much power?
(3) I like high tire pressure (TP) for firmer Vs mushy ride. MB suggests that front TP to be around 27 PSI. I have bumped it up to 33-34 PSI and I seem to get much better (albeit bit bumpy) ride. Any opinion out there on this?
(4) What's the reccomended oil for this engine? I know I have heard varying opinion on this but am interested in general concensus. I assume stay away from Mobil 1, and am inclined to go with Delvac 15-40W. Again, opinion please.
I will take any other advise to make sure I clock 300k+ miles as I plan on driving this car for business and pleasure.
Best Regards,
-NK
Good for you, nice car.
1. Temp: Normal, change the engine's thermostat if you have further doubt but 80 degrees C. is fine.
2. Yes A/C compressors drain off power.
3. I run my '97 E320 at 28-29 Front 31-32 Rear for the same reason. Much above that causes lost traction in wet weather, IMHO. The original tires are now at 34K and probably have another 5K to 7K in them. IMHO these 3650 lb cars have too wide tires but then the buyers want "sports sedans."
4. Suggest you see: http://api-ep.api.org and go the its oil service ratings. MBUSA may have an approved lubricants list for your car.
My experience with this model (gas) is that its front wheel toe-in is important to its tire wear and tracking. The caster and camber are set or reset with a dealer supplied kit and probably not necessary in most instances but the toe-in can be adjusted easily at the tie rods.
Happy Driving!
You must use SYNTHETIC diesel engine oil. You should not use regular oil at all.
Nick:
I got a 99 E300td last year and love it. You were very lucky to get one with 47k miles. Mine had nearly 80k miles and I paid $22.5 k. It was a california car in perfect condition.
1. My temp gauge functions much like yours. 2. I have not done better than 32mpg on long drives. The car is rated at 34mpg highway, but i have never gotten it. I have not tried without a/c off, however. I live in florida, where summer temps are 90f+. So the a/c is on almost always. 3. I also use higher tire pressures of 34 psi. My mechanic also recommended it and i like the car handling and ride. 4. My MB mechanic also recommends using only mobil 1. He also highly recommended changing the transmission fluid and filter every 60k miles. He uses mobil 1 synthetic ATF also. MB recommends that you never change the ATF fluid. You can't even drain it since it is sealed, I believe.
Raj
--
"Nick Khimani" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...
The A/C uses about 20hp.....more power equals more fuel burned,etc..